First Energy Efficiency Task Force Meeting in Prishtina, 15-16 February 2008
NALAS participants: NALAS Energy Efficiency experts.
NALAS gathered experts on energy efficiency in Prishtina on 15, 16 February 2008 to meet and discuss the rapidly increasing energy challenges in South East Europe. This group forms the new NALAS Task Force on Energy Efficiency and its host is the Association of Kosovo Municipalities. The group will try to mitigate the problem by proposing changes in the legislation, collecting best practices, encouraging better use of the available energy and deploying renewable sources of energy
Energy challenges in South East Europe
The energy efficiency sector in South East Europe is generally characterized by combination of several (or all) deficits below:
- Current Legal framework is incomplete and partially contradictory;
- Existing laws are not being implemented / enforced and many by-laws are missing;
- Local energy strategies or plans are missing; there is no baseline data on current energy consumption;
- Municipal district heating companies are overstaffed and under-capitalized with under-qualified management structures;
- Energy prices are normally subsidized. Low prices encourage waste of energy and discourage many reasonable energy efficiency investments;
- Collection rates (per cent of paid bills for delivered services) are unsatisfactory;
- Air pollution from energy production is significantly above EU-standards;
- Use of Renewable Energies is minimal due to lack of technical knowledge, missing legal provisions and subsidized prices for energy generated from fossil fuels
- Public awareness is low, specifically concerning the economic and environmental dimensions of energy efficiency;
- Scientific capacity and expertise, which could be addressing the above deficits, is missing – especially regarding the legal and economic dimensions.
Task force priorities
The task force grouped the energy-related needs and priorities into six groups:
- Data (situation, cost effectiveness, case studies);
- Strategies (national and local);
- Involvement of local governments
- Lack of municipal plans;
- Public awareness;
Task force initiatives
The task force developed four initiatives that may be developed into future projects.
Raising awareness about energy efficiency
Goals: To provide qualitative and quantitative information on possible energy savings in the local authorities
- Collect available data, laws and concept papers on energy consumption; available case studies; standards;
- Develop template and questionnaire for data collection;
- Develop brochures on energy efficiency targeted for specific target groups (schools, municipal buildings, households, small and medium enterprises);
- Media activities.
- Template and questionnaire on how to collect data on energy efficiency;
- Brochures for all target groups;
- Press and media coverage.
Energy efficiency standards / awards
Goals: Encourage municipalities comply with higher energy efficiency standards
- Collect information on EU standards;
- Define the areas (street lightning, electricity etc.);
- Award application
- Selection process
- Deliver awards (general assembly)
- 2008 – Develop standards, January 2009 – Announce?
Developing municipal plans on energy efficiency
Goals: Encourage municipalities to develop municipal energy efficiency plans
- Deliver guidelines on data collection of energy potentials and use of renewable energy;
- Develop template and guidelines for developing municipal plans on energy efficiency;
- Workshop – presentation;
- Develop arguments why municipalities need energy efficiency plans
- Package of instructions “How-to” for municipalities
Case studies on energy efficiency
Goals: Collecting data on introduction of energy efficiency technologies and define the methodology on these basis. To explore new possibilities.
- Examination of various case studies from South East Europe and outside;
- Elaboration of the guidelines.
- Provided recommendations;
- Dissemination through NALAS and member associations;
- Raising awareness and changing mentality