Appeal of the SCTM of Serbia in regards to the refugee, migrant and asylum crisis
The Standing Conference of Towns and Municipalities – National Association of Local Self-governments in Serbia in regards to the refugee, migrant and asylum crisis appeals to its members-towns and municipalities in Serbia, as well as international public, especially the SCTM partners, for urgent action to better manage the ongoing refugee, migrant and asylum crisis.
Members - towns and municipalities in Serbia:
- The towns and municipalities through which refugees, migrants and asylum seekers are passing, should prepare an inventory of their needs in this crisis as soon as possible, both the ones that are most urgent, as well as those they expect to face in the long-run.
- The towns and municipalities through which refugees, migrants and asylum seekers are passing, should actively address the public, to show solidarity on both individual and group level and provide necessary help to refugees temporarily residing in their communities.
- Ensure that other towns and municipalities show their solidarity with the above, and offer and provide their assistance, as was the case during the devastating floods in the spring of 2014. The SCTM will mediate in the provision of information between recipients and providers of assistance.
International public, especially the SCTM partners:
- An ongoing refugee, migrant and asylum crisis is international; therefore, there is a need for coordinated action of the international community.
- It is of the particular importance that the institutions and organizations at EU level recognize the needs of transit countries which are not EU member states, but are in its immediate neighborhood, as well as the needs of their local communities. Accordingly, it is necessary to involve these countries in the process of decision making on the response to the crisis.
- The international donor community needs to direct funds towards to states and their local communities which are directly affected by the current refugee, migrant and asylum crisis, so they are able to help alleviating and addressing its consequences in the best possible way.
To see the whole Appeal: